Lurgan Golf Club 125 years old
1893 Formation of Lurgan Golf Club
Lurgan Golf Club was formed 125 years ago in 1893 at a time when golf was growing in popularity in Ireland and elsewhere. The founding fathers of the Club were:
J H Vint T G Menary H MacGeagh W T Kilpatrick C Johnston
N G Leeper F Megarry H Lee T Faloon
Mr H MacGeagh was elected Captain and Mr J Malcolm became President.
The first course was 9 holes and laid out by the captain Mr H Mac Geagh in roughly the same place it is today.
1896 The Move to Gracehall
In 1893 the Brownlow Family, who owned the Demesne where the Club is now, sold the land, lake and Brownlow House to Lurgan Borough Council for £2000. The Borough Council subsequently sold Brownlow House (Lurgan Castle) to the Lurgan District Orange Lodge in 1903. In 1896 the Golf Club was informed that the land in the Demesne was no longer available and the search for a new site for the Club began. The Club was then established in Gracehall on the outskirts of the town.
1918 Woodville Golf Club
For a variety of reasons, not least of which was the distance of the course from the town, a number of members began exploring the idea of moving to a more convenient and suitable location. A proposal to move was put to a meeting of the members but defeated in a vote. Undeterred by this setback some members pursued the idea and eventually a new club was set up not far from today’s train station. The club became known as Woodville Golf Club and a more detailed piece on it will appear on the website shortly.
Woodville Clubhouse 1923
1923 Return to the Demesne
In 1923 the land where Lurgan Golf Club had begun its existence became available and the Club moved from Gracehall back to the Demesne.
1925 New Clubhouse
A new clubhouse was opened in 1925 when Mr T B Malcolm was Captain. He had also been Captain in 1912, 1913, 1923 and 1924.
Opening of new clubhouse 1925
1928 Closure of Woodville Golf Club
For a period of 5 years there existed two courses in the town each of which would have had a proud membership loyal to their own Club. Economics probably forced the membership of each Club to consider amalgamation and in 1928 Woodville Golf Club closed and joined with Lurgan Golf Club.
1970 18 Holes
The course was extended to 18 holes in 1970 and the first Captain’s Day held over the new course was in 1971 when Mr Larry Magee was Captain. The first winner of a Captain’s Day over the new course was a youthful Paddy Meehan.
Mr P Meehan and Mr L R Magee
1972 Destruction of Clubhouse
In 1972 the clubhouse which had been opened in 1925 was destroyed in a bomb attack.
1975 New Clubhouse
A new clubhouse was opened. Although this too became the victim of subsequent attacks it remains in its original location.
L to R: Mr R Knox, Captain; Mr J G McErvel, Pres GUI; Mr A Watson, Hon Sec.